Happening right now:”Dreamscape” by Rickerby Hinds. If you are unable to attend tonight’s powerful performance, you can still catch it tomorrow Sat.(Aug.9th), Fri.(Aug.15th) or Sat.(Aug.16th). All performances start @7pm. Tickets are $14, $5 for students and members.🌠 (at Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions)
An intimate glimpse of the rehearsal for Rickerby Hinds award-winning play “Dreamscape.” The first performance takes place tomorrow at 7 pm. Tickets are $14, $5 for students and members. #lace #Hollywood #performance #art #gallery #Rickerbyhinds #dreamscape #play #theater (at Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions)
2014 Grant Open for Submissions
Deadline: Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Apply online at apply.artswriters.org
The Creative Capital | Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant Program supports writers whose work addresses contemporary visual art through project-based grants, ranging from $5,000 to $50,000, issued directly to twenty individual authors a year. The program was founded in recognition of both the financially precarious situation of arts writers and their indispensable contribution to a vital artistic culture. The Arts Writers Grant Program aims to support the broad spectrum of writing on contemporary visual art, from general-audience criticism to academic scholarship.
Writers who meet the program’s eligibility requirements are invited to apply in the following categories:
- New and Alternative Media
- Short-Form Writing
Through all its grants, the Arts Writers Grant Program aims to honor and encourage writing about art
- that is rigorous, passionate, eloquent, and precise;
- in which a keen engagement with the present is infused with an appreciation of the historical;
- that is neither afraid to take a stand nor content to deliver authoritative pronouncements, but serves rather to pose questions and generate new possibilities for thinking about, seeing, and making art;
- that is sensitive to both the importance and difficulty of situating aesthetic objects within their broader social and political contexts;
- that does not dilute or sidestep complex ideas but renders accessible their meaning and value;
- that creatively challenges the limits of existing conventions, without valorizing novelty as an end in itself.
Due to legal constraints we can only fund U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the United States, and holders of O-1 visas. For guidelines and additional eligibility requirements, please visit www.artswriters.org/eligibility.html.
For news on Arts Writers grantees, follow the program on Twitter.
Art Writing Workshop: In partnership with the International Association of Art Critics/USA Section, the Arts Writers Grant Program offers ten select applicants consultations with leading art critics. For more information, please visit www.artswriters.org/writing_workshop.html.
Harbisson has been claimed to be the first recognized cyborg in the world, as his passport photo now includes his device. In 2010, Neil Harbisson and Moon Ribas created the Cyborg Foundation, an international organization to help humans become cyborgs. The foundation has also experimented with other sensory devices, including an “earborg,” which translates sound into color, and a “speedborg,” which allows people to detect movement through electronic earrings that vibrate.}
Rafa Esparza My grandparents were the first people who settled the pueblo where my parents were born in Mexico. I think if there was a beginning, in terms of thinking about a home, that would be a good place to start. My father grew up making adobe bricks, like most men in the pueblo. It was…